- Yifei Hou
- Edinburgh UK EH8 9LD
- Research Interests
- Quantitative Methods in Social Research, Family Demography, Health policy, Kinship
My research studied within-family determinants of caregiving(measured in time and money) to nonresident elderly parents in China using data from China Health and Retirement Longitudinal Study(http://charls.ccer.edu.cn/en). The findings support geographic isolation hypothesis , substitution effect of having brothers, gendered caregiving (daughters are more likely to care, but sons provide more care once involved ) and interactive effect of caregiver’s gender and kinship type(daughter-in-law highly significant). Evidence shows important connectedness of married daughter to biological parents . The finding helps to impact medical insurance policy reformation to relax geographic restrictions and give more attention to "empty-nested" elderly.
Time Assistance to Nonresident Elderly Parents in China: The Coaction of Sibling Substitution, Proximity and Gendered Kinship Selection
Papers & Presentations
06/2015-08/2015 Research Assistant, Reform& Development Research Institute of Pearl River Delta, Sun Yat-sen University, China
Project: Comparative Advantages of Innovation in Pearl River Delta (PRD): from Institutional Embeddedness Perspectives.
- Engaged in a project investigating operation from institutional embeddedness perspectives
- Conducted interviews and distributed questionnaires in high and new technology enterprises in Shenzhen
- Designed surveys, visited the companies and conducted participant observation
- Concluded in a report, using compassion with data of other high and new technology areas in China
03/2015-06/2015 Research Assistant & Program Conductor, Lingnan College, Sun Yat-sen University.
Project: Mechanism of Ecological Intervention and Civic Engagement for Water Pollution.
- Assisted in managing the program, delivered training classes for surveyors and made coursework evaluation
- Processed data and delivered the report using case study and other analytical techniques
06/2014-09/2014 Mitacs Globalink Research Intern, Université de Sherbrooke, Canada
Project：Chinese Enterprise's Energy Efficiency.
- Reviewed literature, made research hypothesis and designed research structure
Project: Database Management on Environmental Regulation & Trade Structure
- Categorized literature data and established database of 58 proxies for environmental regulation stringency 2 weeks before the scheduled deadline
09/2013-12/2013 Market Integration of Yangtze Delta & Pan-Pearl River Delta, China
- Collected prices of retail goods in Yangtze River Delta
- Estimated border effect of Shanghai & Nanjing, China using quantile regression and conducted a quantitative research
09/2013-09/2012 Teaching Assistant, Project Appraisal & Business Negotiation, SYSU, China
Honors & Scholarships
10/2016 MScR Sociology with Distinction, University of Edinburgh
05/2015 Distinguished Dissertation Award, Sun Yat-sen University
09/2014 Dssc (Hon)’s Award for Studying Abroad, Dssc (Hon)’s Fund
02/2014 Mitacs Globalink Award, Mitacs Globalink, Canda & Chinese Scholarship Council(CSC)
01/2014 Cultural Experience Award, Hong Kong Baptist University
11/2013 The National Scholarship in the Academic Year of 2012-2013, Ministry of Education of People’s Republic of China
10/2013 The First Scholarship in the Academic Year of 2012-2013, Sun Yat-sen University
10/2014 The First Scholarship in the Academic Year of 2011-2012, Sun Yat-sen University
Stata12.0, R , Mplus
IELTS: 7.5 (Date: 07/07/2015)
06/2013-09/2014 Chairperson, Healthy Life Association, Sun Yat-sen University
02/2014-06/2014 Program Conductor, “Culture Experience Program: : Self-expression and Self-consciousness” at Hong Kong Baptist University
Yoga(certified instructor of yoga education), Chinese Folk Dance