- Stergios Magkriotis
- Edinburgh UK
- Research Interests
- Displacement, Refugee Livelihoods, everyday practices, Materiality, Visual Sociology, Human Geography, Ethnography
Livelihoods at the Margins of Humanitarian Aid
The everyday life strategies of refugees in Athens
- MSc Sociology and Global Change, University of Edinburgh
Thesis title: Spatial Dynamics and Shifting Roles at the gate of Europe. Narratives from Skala Sykamias.
- BA Audio and Visual Arts, Ionian University
Thesis title: The phenomenon of homeless people in Greece today.
- The Artefacts of Displacement: Documents of life, practices and the livelihood of refugees in camps (International Visual Sociology Association 2019 annual conference in Skidmore College, New York, U.S.A. 20 – 22 June)
- Politicising the visual representations of a ‘refugee crisis’ (International Visual Sociology Association 2018 annual conference in Evry, France 25-28 June)
- Refugee flows, spatial dynamics and social shifts at the ‘gate’ of Europe Narratives from Skala Sykamias (Social Work, Education and Social Development Joint World Conference in Dublin, Irland, 4 - 6 July 2018)
Tutor, Sociology 2a: Thinking Sociologically, University of Edinburgh
Tutor, Sociology 1b: The Sociological Imagination: Private Troubles, Public Problems,
University of Edinburgh
Magkriotis, S. (forthcoming). Book Review: Under Every Yard of Sky by Meyer, S., Red Hook Editions 2019. Visual Studies.
Magkriotis, S. (2020). Book Review: Bordering by Yuval-Davis, N. Wemyss, G. and Cassidy, K., Polity Press 2019. Journal of Refugee Studies. https://doi.org/10.1093/jrs/feaa045