- Ceren Sengül
- School of Social and Political Science
University of Edinburgh
- Edinburgh UK
- Research Interests
- Nationalism, Multiculturalism, Minority nationalism in Middle East, Linguistic nationalism, ethnic identities
Varieties of 'Kurdishness': 'everydayness', state discourses, and social influences
Master of Science in Nationalism Studies, University of Edinburgh, 2011.
BA with Hons in Psychology and in Political Science & International Relations, Bogazici University, Istanbul, 2010.
My current research focuses on 'Kurdishness' in Turkey and explores the factors that have an influence on 'Kurdishness'. Taking the constructivist accounts on identity as its framework, my research distinguishes three different factors that have an influence on the shaping of 'Kurdishness': everyday experiences, the changes in the state discourses, and the social influences.
- James Kennedy
- Ewan Stein
2014-2015: Sociology 1B: The Sociological Imagination: Private Troubles, Public Imagination
2014-2015: Sociology 1A: The Sociological Imagination: Individuals and Society
2013-2014: Sociology 1B: The Sociological Imagination: Private Troubles, Public Imagination
- Sengül, C. 2015. ‘Book Review of Ramazan Aras, the Formation of Kurdishness in Turkey: Political Violence, Fear and Pain (Routledge: London and New York), 2014’, Middle Eastern Studies, 51 (2), pp. 330-332.
- Sengül, C. 2012. ‘Book Review of Robert Olson, the Kurdish Nationalist Movement in Turkey: 1980 to 2011(Mazda Publishers Inc.: California), 2011’, Studies in Ethnicity and Nationalism, 12 (3), pp. 553-555.
- 'The formation of Kurdish identity in Turkey as a bottom-up construction', presented at Nations, History and Comparison: a conference on historical sociology and the study of nationalism at the University of Edinburgh, 14-15 May 2015.
- ''We' are not 'them': the reconstruction of Kurdish identity as a reaction to the official discourse on 'Turkishness'', presented at 25th Annual Conference of ASEN, Nationalism: Diversity & Security, at the London School of Economics, 21-23 April 2015.
- 'The linguistic accommodation of ethnic groups in the cases of Turkey and Israel', presented at Nationalism and Multiculturalism Workshop at the University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, 13-14 December 2012.
- ‘Different states, same result: a comparative study of Turkey and Israel’, presented at CRONEM Annual Conference at the University of Surrey, Guildford, 26-27 June 2012.
- ‘The linguistic accommodation of ethnic groups in ethnic democracies: the cases of Turkey and Israel’, presented at the New Directions Conference at the University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, 26-27 April 2012.
- Talk titled 'The Kurds in Turkey: 'Kurdish Question' and Other Challenges' at Morningside Justice and Peace Group, 18 March 2015.
- Associate Fellowship by Higher Education Academy
- PhD Conference and Fieldwork Fund, School of Social and Political Science, University of Edinburgh, 2015.
- Partial scholarship for EURAC Summer School on Human Rights, Minorities and Diversity Management in Bolzano, Italy, 24 June-5 July 2013.
Affiliations and Research Group Memberships
- Association for the Study of Ethnicity and Nationalism (ASEN)
- Ethnicity, Nationalism, and National Identity Network (ENNIN)
- Associate Editor of MOUSEION Project Team
- Participant in EURAC Summer School on Human Rights, Minorities and Diversity Management in Bolzano/Bozen, Italy, 24 June-5 July 2013.