- Ceren Sengül
- School of Social and Political Science
University of Edinburgh
- Edinburgh UK
- Research Interests
- Nationalism, Multiculturalism, Minority nationalism in Middle East, Linguistic nationalism, national identities
Assimilation narratives of ethnic groups within a nation-state: a case study of Kurds in Turkey
Master of Science in Nationalism Studies, University of Edinburgh, 2011.
BA with Hons in Psychology and in Political Science & International Relations, Bogazici University, Istanbul, 2010.
My research aims to look at the assimilation levels of Kurds from different parts of Turkey and whether a certain pattern could be observed in the way they have been assimilated (or not) into the Turkish nation-state. Based on these findings and observations, I try to explore whether the establishment of Kurdish national identity in Turkey is something that has developed bottom-up or in reaction to these assimilation policies of the nation-state.
- James Kennedy
- Ewan Stein
2014-2015: Sociology 1B: The Sociological Imagination: Private Troubles, Public Imagination
2014-2015: Sociology 1A: The Sociological Imagination: Individuals and Society
2013-2014: Sociology 1B: The Sociological Imagination: Private Troubles, Public Imagination
- Sengül, C. 2015. ‘Book Review of Ramazan Aras, the Formation of Kurdishness in Turkey: Political Violence, Fear and Pain (Routledge: London and New York), 2014’, Middle Eastern Studies, 51 (2), pp. 330-332.
- Sengül, C. 2012. ‘Book Review of Robert Olson, the Kurdish Nationalist Movement in Turkey: 1980 to 2011(Mazda Publishers Inc.: California), 2011’, Studies in Ethnicity and Nationalism, 12 (3), pp. 553-555.
- 'The formation of Kurdish identity in Turkey as a bottom-up construction', presented at Nations, History and Comparison: a conference on historical sociology and the study of nationalism at the University of Edinburgh, 14-15 May 2015.
- ''We' are not 'them': the reconstruction of Kurdish identity as a reaction to the official discourse on 'Turkishness'', presented at 25th Annual Conference of ASEN, Nationalism: Diversity & Security, at the London School of Economics, 21-23 April 2015.
- 'The linguistic accommodation of ethnic groups in the cases of Turkey and Israel', presented at Nationalism and Multiculturalism Workshop at the University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, 13-14 December 2012.
- ‘Different states, same result: a comparative study of Turkey and Israel’, presented at CRONEM Annual Conference at the University of Surrey, Guildford, 26-27 June 2012.
- ‘The linguistic accommodation of ethnic groups in ethnic democracies: the cases of Turkey and Israel’, presented at the New Directions Conference at the University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, 26-27 April 2012.
- Talk titled 'The Kurds in Turkey: 'Kurdish Question' and Other Challenges' at Morningside Justice and Peace Group, 18 March 2015.
- PhD Conference and Fieldwork Fund, School of Social and Political Science, University of Edinburgh, 2015.
- Partial scholarship for EURAC Summer School on Human Rights, Minorities and Diversity Management in Bolzano, Italy, 24 June-5 July 2013.
Affiliations and Research Group Memberships
- Association for the Study of Ethnicity and Nationalism (ASEN)
- Ethnicity, Nationalism, and National Identity Network (ENNIN)
- Associate Editor of MOUSEION Project Team
- Participant in EURAC Summer School on Human Rights, Minorities and Diversity Management in Bolzano/Bozen, Italy, 24 June-5 July 2013.