- Amy Andrada
- Edinburgh UK EH8 9LD
- +44 (0)753 926 9587
- Research Interests
- Ideology, Norms, Narrative Inquiry, gender, national identity, Gender hierarchies, Quantitative Research, Kinship and motherhood, Exclusion, Self, Identity
My research focuses on the development of 'self' based on gender, femininity, and motherhood. Specifically, I examine identity among women and mothers in the context of in-group and out-group relations, and stigma and discrimination related to (un)partnership status(es). My research explores how identity is shaped by gender, parental, and relationship statuses for women.
PhD, Sociology, Anticipated Conferral Date: ASAP (University of Edinburgh)
M.A., English, Cum Laude, Thesis. (California State University)
M.A., Sociology, Cum Laude, Teaching & Thesis. “The Illegitimacy of Single Parents: Identity Conceptualization and the Consequences of Owning a ‘Deficit’ Status” (California State University)
B.A., English & Sociology, Cum Laude, with specialization in English Literature and Language, Gender Studies, Sociology of Deviance (California State University)
A. A. Letters, Arts, & Sciences (State College)
Publications: Journal Articles, Book Chapters, etc.
Andrada, A. (2020, Forthcoming). Modern Approaches to Online Methods: Recruitment and Sampling Hard-to-Reach Groups.
Andrada, A. & Ozdemir U. (2020, Forthcoming). Intersectionality & COVID-19: Relative Verses Absolute Well-being.
Andrada, A. (December, 2019). ‘Woman’ and (Un)Partnered Mother: Intersectional Perspective, In Buchanan, F. & Zufferey, C. (Ed.), Intersections of Mothering: Feminist Accounts. Routledge: UK.
Other Publications: Book Reviews, Blog Posts, etc.
Difficult Conversations. (2020, July). What’s the Role of White People in Black Lives Matter? Looking in the Mirror at Feminism & Anti-Racism, Podcast. Podcast by Amy Andrada. Difficult Conversations Blog. Retrieved on August 10, 2020, https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJ8s5juy1yUjuGJe6n9ZMANbvaM4ta1U4
The Focus Magazine. (2020, July). Texting Your Ex in Lockdown? Here’s Why. Interview with Amy Andrada. The Focus. Retrieved on July 12, 2020, https://www.thefocus.news/health-and-fitness/texting-your-ex-in-lock-down-heres-why/
Sociological Review. (June, 2020). COVID Outside Outside Our Door. Post by Amy Andrada, Solidarity & Care, Sociological Review Blog. Retrieved on June 6, 2020, https://www.solidarityandcare.org/stories/letters-reflections/covid-outside-our-door-a-letter-to-my-growing-son-and-myself
University of Edinburgh. (2020, May). Strange, Strange Times: Methods and Stuff During COVID-19. Post by Amy Andrada. Post Pandemic, Edinburgh Decameron Blog. Retrieved on May 21, 2020, https://blogs.ed.ac.uk/ed-decameron/strange-strange-times-methods-and-stuff-during-covid-19/
Difficult Conversations. (2020, April). COVID-19 Pandemic Outbreak: Motherhood & Single Parents, Podcast. Podcast by Amy Andrada. Difficult Conversations Blog. Retrieved on April 4, 2020, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyfw8RgNJ6I
University of Edinburgh. (2020, February). Feminist Teaching, Podcast Episode 15. Podcast by Amy Andrada. Teaching Matters Blog. Retrieved on February 26, 2020, https://anchor.fm/teaching-matters/episodes/Episode-15---Feminist-Teaching-eb31p1
University of Edinburgh. (2019, August). A Night at the Cabaret… of Dangerous Ideas (CoDI), Interview with Amy Andrada. University of Edinburgh. Retrieved on August 15, 2020, https://www.ed.ac.uk/events/festivals/highlights/all-events/2019/codi
Andrada, A. (2018). [Review of the book Getting Respect: Responding to Stigma and Discrimination in the United States, Brazil, and Israel, by Lamont, M, Moraes Silva, G., Welburn, J., Guetzkow, J., Mizrachi, N., Herzog, H. and E. Reis). Sociological Research Online, 23(2). https://doi.org/10.1177/1360780418798379
Andrada, A. (2017). [Review of the book Negotiating Identities: Adolescent Mothers’ Journey to Motherhood, A Research Study, by Ford, K.L.]. Women & Language Online, 38(1).
Andrada, A. (2017). [Review of the book Family Rhythms: The Changing Textures of Family Life in Ireland, by Grey, J., Geraghty, R., and Ralph, D.]. Sociological Research Online, 22(1). http://www.socresonline.org.uk/22/1/reviews/2.html
Centre for Research on Families and Relationships. (Dec 5, 2017). Trust me, I know exactly how you feel’: Undisclosed thoughts on researching single mums when you are one. Post by Amy Andrada. Centre for Research on Families and Relationships Blog.
DePaulo, B. (2017). Why Aren’t the Other kids Playing with My Son? Post by Amy Andrada, Part 2. Psych Central. Retrieved on November 25, 2017, https://blogs.psychcentral.com/single-at-heart/2017/11/part-2-why-arent-the-other-kids-playing-with-my-son-guest-post-by-amy-andrada/
DePaulo, B. (2017). Why Aren’t the Other kids Playing with My Son? Post by Amy Andrada, Part 1. Psych Central. Retrieved on November 17, 2017, https://blogs.psychcentral.com/single-at-heart/2017/11/why-arent-the-other-kids-playing-with-my-son-guest-post-by-amy-andrada-part-1/
Conference Papers, Presentations, and Proceedings
- Training Course/Lecture (2021, Forthcoming). Gender & Adolescence: Unpacking Stigma and Learned Intragender Sexism (Community Engagement). Lothian Association of Youth Clubs (LAYC). Edinburgh, UK.
- Andrada, A. (2020, September). Modern Approaches to Data Collection: Recruitment and Sampling, Hard-to-Reach Groups. Presentation at the NVivo Virtual Conference* (online), United States.
- Lecture, (2020, August). Are Women Assholes? The Cabaret of Dangerous Ideas (Public Lecture). Edinburgh, UK, https://ondemand.thestand.co.uk/Video/42XKA4/codi__the_stand_-_22nd_july_2020
- Andrada, A. (2020, March). Pregnancy and Motherhood: The Medicalization of the Bodies of Women. Panelist at the Eliminating Gender-Based Violence Conference* (online), University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, United Kingdom.
- Andrada, A. (October, 2019). American Mothers: Balancing Acts of ‘Mother' and ‘Womanhood’. Presentation at the California Sociological Association, Sacramento, CA, USA.
- Lecture Series, (2019, July—October). Are Women Assholes? The Cabaret of Dangerous Ideas, (Public Lecture). Edinburgh, UK.
- Andrada, A. (2019, April). Hierarchies of (Un)Partnered Motherhood. Presentation at the British Sociological Association, Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow, United Kingdom.
- Committee Member, New Directions Annual Conference, April 18-19, 2019, Edinburgh, UK.
- Andrada, A. (2018, December). Hierarchal Sub/Prescriptions of (Un)Partnered Woman. Presentation at the Exploring Legacies of Injustice and Inequality Conference, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- Hierarchal Prescription of UnPartnered Motherhood: Single Mothers and Stigma, Exploring Legacies of Injustice and Inequality, Dec 3, 2018, Edinburgh University, Edinburgh, UK.
- Why Mums Have More in Common Than They Think (Public Lecture), Leith Lab Conversations: Exploration, September 29, 2018, Edinburgh, UK.
- Chair, Opportunity and Identity, New Directions Annual Conference, April 19-20, 2018, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK.
- Middle Class Mothers in the US. Emerging Themes: Identity, Stigma, and Agency, BSA Annual Conference, April 10-12, 2018, Northumbria University, Newcastle, UK.
- Middle Class Mothers: Examining Single Mothers and their Experiences (Preliminary Data), CSA Annual Conference, Nov 17-18, 2017, Sacramento, CA, USA.
- Single Mothers in the American Middle Class: Theoretical Analysis of Motherhood and Mothering, Kaleidoscope: Postgraduate Gender Research Network of Scotland Conference, June 5, 2017, Edinburgh, UK.
- American Single Mothers: Class, Identity, and Stigma, New Directions Annual Conference, April 20-21, 2017, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK.
- *Most lecturing experience includes course development
Present - 2019 University of California, Exchange Abroad Program
- Lecturer: Social Sciences in Research Methods, Parlimentary Studies, International Non-Governmental Organizations
Present - 2019 Sutton Trust, Summer School
- Tutor: Introduction to Sociology
Present - 2016 BARSTOW COMMUNITY COLLEGE
- Lecturer: Introduction to Sociology, Marriage and Family, American Social Problems
Present - 2016 UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH
- Lecture Development: Doing Survey Research (SCIL10063), Statistical Modeling (SSPS10027), Introduction to Political Data Analysis (PLIT08009)
- Tutor: Sociology 1B: The Sociological Imagination (SCIL08005), Doing Survey Research (SCIL10063), Statistical Modeling (SSPS10027), Introduction to Political Data Analysis (PLIT08009), Designing and Doing Social Research (SCIL10062), Research Design in Politics and International Relations (PLIT10106), Sociology of Intoxication (SCIL10054), Sustainable Development 2a: Perspectives on Sustainable Development (SCIL08009)
Present - 2014 SANTA MONICA COLLEGE
- Lecturer: Introduction to Sociology
Present - 2011 ANTELOPE VALLEY COLLEGE
- Lecturer: Introduction to Sociology, Ethnic Relations, Research Methods, Gender & Sexuality, The Mexican American in Contemporary Society
- Tutor: Various sociology courses (2001-2011)
2011 - 2014 CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY
- Lecturer: Sociology of Deviance, Sociology of Crime (Guest), Gender and Society, Introduction to Research Methods, Quantitative Analysis, Classical Sociological Theory (Guest), Contemporary Sociological Theory (Guest), Social Stratification (Guest)
- Tutor: Social Psychology, Sociology of Religion, Childhood and Society, Family and Stress, Multicultural Diversity and the U.S. Education System
2018 Fran Trust, Recipient, Gender Studies (University of Edinburgh)
2014 Graduate Student of the Year, Nominee (California State University)
Grants & Scholarships
2020 Research Student-Led Project, University of Edinburgh, UK
2019 Research Student-Led Project, University of Edinburgh
2016-20 PhD Research Support Grant, University of Edinburgh
2013 Graduate Research Grant, California State University
2001-11 Cal Grant Recipient, Antelope Valley College/California State University
Ad Hoc Journal Reviewer, Journal of Families Relationships and Societies
Member, genderED Researcher, Institution for the Advancement Study
in the Humanities(IASH)
Member, American Sociological Association (ASA)
Member, British Sociological Association (BSA)
Research Associate, Q-Step Centre (University of Edinburgh)
Member, California Sociological Association (CSA)
PhD Associate Researcher, Centre for Research on Families and Relationships (CRFR)
genderED Researcher, Institution for the Advanced Study in the Humanities (IASH)
Member, Postgraduate Gender Research Network of Scotland (PGRNS)
Member, Alpha Kappa Delta, Zeta Chapter, Sociology Honors Society (AKD)
Member, Sigma Tau Delta, Xi Tau Chapter, International English Honors Society (STD)
University and Community Service
Community Member, Lothian Association of Youth Clubs (LAYC), Edinburgh, UK.
Committee Member, Umoja (African & African-American Diasporas) Antelope Valley College, Lancaster, CA
Attendee, Theorizing Our Work: Department Collaborations on Work-in-Progress, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Committee Member, Drug and Alcohol Certificate Program, Antelope Valley College, Lancaster, CA
Mentor, Postgraduate Peer Mentorship Program, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Facilitator, AVC2CSU (College to University Transfer Program, Non-Traditional Students) Antelope Valley College, Lancaster, CA
Faculty Mentor, Peer Mentors, Antelope Valley College Lancaster, CA
Instructor (Adjunct), Sociology Coaching Program, Santa Monica College Santa Monica, CA
Instructor, Honors Society, Antelope Valley College, Lancaster, CA