Sociology PhD Writing Retreat
- Sociology PhD Writing Retreat
- Hosted by: Sociology # University of Edinburgh
- Hosted by
- Introduced by
- Date and Time
- 6th Jun 2014 13:30 - 8th Jun 2014 16:00
- Wiston Lodge
As part of the 50 years of Sociology at Edinburgh celebrations, the department is co-funding a writing weekend with the School of Social and Political Science. This weekend will provide a relaxing environment for current sociology PhD students to focus on writing and share concerns, tips, and strategies.
Dr. Mary Holmes and Dr. Angus Bancroft will join PhD students to share their experiences of academic writing and and help facilitate discussions on best practice, with examples from current staff members' work. However, the weekend will mainly involve sustained periods of writing and sharing of advice and tips about the writing process in informal group discussions.
We wish to:
• Provide a space for sustained academic writing towards achievable aims;
• Support each others with informal group discussion and advice from people at different stages of the PhD alongside two experienced academics;
• Celebrate the successful writing of Edinburgh sociologists, past and present;
• Take students out of their normal working environment to help stimulate new ideas and encourage thinking;
• Encourage self-care and relaxation in a retreat-like environment;
• Give students time to get to know each other and help create a supportive academic community.